Thursday, August 6, 2009

Worried Mom




My Ashley has been sick for a few days now, I mean really sick. Tuesday night she went to Urgent Care for pain in her legs, back, neck, and a fever. They decided that she needed blood tests and they needed them STAT. Ashley had such a rapid heartbeat that they placed her on Inderal, a heart med, and diagnosed her with an ear infection as well as an upper respiratory infection and placed her on Augmentin for that. UC told her to go to the hospital if her symptoms got any worse. This morning at 4am, Ashley crawled into bed with me and asked if I would take her to the hospital. I got up and dressed and we were off. I refuse to take her to Pioneer Hospital, because it is truly a crap hospital, so off to St. Marks we went. They took Ashley right back. She once again had a fever and a rapid heartbeat. The nurse, Carol was awesome. She started an IV right away and did her best to make Ashley smile and laugh a little. They took blood, urine and did a chest x-ray. They also gave her Morphine, and something for nausea. (Let me go back a day. She got a call on her labs that were done at the urgent care and her white blood cells were just below the low end of normal.) We informed Dr. Hines at St. Marks of this, so this was something he was looking for. Sure enough, her WBC was still low. The rest of her labs look good though. Dr. Hines told her that she needed to follow up with her primary care doctor ASAP. He said that Ashley should have a bone marrow biopsy to rule out leukemia, and or infection or even a cancer. He said that she could have one several things and that testing is the only way to rule these thing out. Okay, as a mom all I heard was that my daughter could have cancer. I am sick to my stomach, but am staying strong and dignified. We don't know what's going on yet so I am trying not to think it could be bad. Maybe it is a nasty virus, or fibromyalgia. Carol the nurse said that her symptoms sound more like the later, and Ashley's oldest sister, Michelle, has fibromyalgia too. Carol said that the doctor wanted to cover his bases and that is why he wants all these thing ruled out. I understand that, but geese, you are killing me. I will keep all of you up to date, this I promise. Please keep Ashley in your prayers. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you know what is wrong with Ashley. She has had share of illnesses and I think it's time she got a break. No more strange virus' no more swine flu and no more of anything wlse that she has had to deal with the last few years, She just needs a break to enjoy her new boobs.

    ReplyDelete