Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patty's Day

I am 1/4 Irish therefore St. Patty's Day has some meaning for me. As a child my maternal Grandma, was a 100% Irish. Grandma Margie was a tiny lady with a creamy white complexion and green eyes and black as coal hair. She had a fiery temper and was very Catholic. Grandma Margie was an incredible cook. I loved to eat anything she cooked. My favorite dinner was Corned Beef and Cabbage. Oh My Goodness! Every St. Patrick's we would don the green and head to Grandma's for dinner. Grandpa and my Uncle George would be drinking the green beer and watching T.V. BS-ing about the past. The smells of fresh homemade Rye bread mingling with the Corned Beef and Cabbage. Grandma would be singing Irish songs in time with the sound of the pressure cooker. She would break into a jig every now and then. I would laugh and dance with her. I would listen to her stories, often her brogue would come through. Poor Grandma always trying to hide her accent. I loved her so and she loved me. Grandma passed away over 15 years ago from complications of Alzheimer's. I wish everyone could have met her. She was terrific.
This St. Patty's day I am using a pressure cooker for the first time to cook my corned beef. Awe the smells. Miss you Grandma Margie. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment