So we found out tonight that someone got a hold of Mike's social security number. We had a problem a few months ago when someone tried to use one of our credit cards for a $1900.00 purchase at the Apple Store. We have Chase and the notified us prior to authorizing the purchase. They declined the purchase and closed our account. Then about 2 months ago, we got a Paypal card in the mail. The first name was screwed up it read Mikew. Mike was fighting fire in California at the time so I called Paypal. They told me that I was not on the card therefore they could not help. I got a hold of Mike and he said that he did not take out a card with them and that he would handle it when he got home. When Mike got home we had already received a statement. Someone had charged $994 twice. Both purchases were on the same day via the Internet to Japan. Mike got in touch with them and they said the would investigate. We put a fraud alert on all of our credit reporting agencies and contacted local law enforcement. The PD said that there was no evidence as to actual theft of his identity so there was nothing they could do. Within the past couple of weeks we have received via the mail a subscription to Proactive and an invoice stating that it has been billed to our credit card ending in the last four numbers 7013. I called them and explained what was going on and that we do not have any credit cards that end with that number. They said that they would cancel the account and make a note in the system stating what was going on. Last week we got a Book subscription that we did not order. We called the PD again and they told us to return to sender and to write a note on the envelope stating to cancel and no orders were placed. Yesterday I opened a letter addressed to Mike and it was from Paypal. They said that they had resolved the case in our favor and if we had any questions to call them. I called and they asked of the card number. I told the lady that I did not have the number and she asked for Mikes Social Security number. Bingo! She was able to pull him up using it. She was able to tell me that they had his number, correct mailing address, but that the phone number was a fake. She also had the actual application, e-mail address, and computer IP number, but that she could not give that information out. She asked me to go to the local law enforcement and advise them, and that she would be happy to give the investigator all the info. Mike came home last night as a surprise, and we headed off to the PD station. They have opened a case and have instructed us to contact the FBI, FTC, SSA, IRS, and some other agencies. This is a pain in the butt. Mike is pretty sure that they got his info from Kern County and he is not too happy. The scary thing for me is that he went to look for his SS card yesterday morning and it was not in his wallet. He texted me at like 10am asking if I knew where it was. So when I came home I looked and only my, and Dennis' were there. Ashley keeps her own. Then all this breaks loose at 4:44pm. The day before Mike went back to California to work we checked our credit reports and there was no activity. I am pissed and perplexed.
That sucks...I am so sorry. We figure if anyone steals my identity...they'll be worse off then if they kept their own! :) Love you!
ReplyDelete